Frequently Asked Question

Wondering when to call 911 compared to the non-emergency number? Curious about what Washington County 911 does? Check out our frequently asked questions below.

As a key rule, if you see something, say something

Make sure to notify dispatch at (979) 277-7373 each day you plan on burning. For example, if you start a burn pile on Monday and will be continuing to burn on Tuesday, report the controlled burn both days.

In short, if there is an immediate threat to life or property – such as a medical emergency, fire, car crash, fight, etc. – dial 911 immediately. If is to report something that is lapsed, call the non-emergency line at (979) 277-7373.

The very first thing you will be asked for when calling 911 is your location. This can be an exact address, a cross street to where you are at, or a business name. If calling about a person or vehicle, descriptors are best. For vehicles, try to take note of the color, make and model. For people, try to take note of gender, race, clothing descriptions.

A good question to start with is, “is what I am calling about something that is illegal?” Situations that this question may come up include:
– Child Custody: If both parties involved have custody of the child, without specifics listed by a court order (i.e. no court order exists or a shared-custody order has been granted), then both parties have a right to the child. Issues on what parent has the child in their custody would be a civil matter. If one parent has court documents stating they have full custody, then if the other parents takes the child, that would be a criminal offense and would be handled by law enforcement.
– Vehicles: If you have given person A permission to drive your car and they are not back by a time you feel is reasonable, this is not a stolen vehicle – this would be considered a civil issue. In a similar way, if you allow a family member to borrow your car, then they “borrow” it again without asking you before, it would still be a civil issue as you had previously given them permission.
– Getting items from previous residence: If you have belongings in a residence that is not yours and would like them back, this would be a civil issue. Officers and deputies do not do civil stand-bys. You would need to contact your Justice of the Peace and schedule a time to collect your belongings with a Constable on scene.

Reach out to your Justice of the Peace and they will be able to assist you.
Justice of the Peace Precinct 1: Judge Douglas Zwiener | Office: (979) 277-6260
Justice of the Peace Precinct 2: Judge Douglas F. Cone | Office: (979) 836-5008
Justice of the Peace Precinct 3: Judge Duane “Dane” Houston | Office: (979) 277-6225
Justice of the Peace Precinct 4: Judge Harold “Buddy” C. Riddle | Office: (979) 289-2921

For more information on the Justice of the Peace offices, click here.

We answer calls and dispatch for the Brenham Police Department, Blinn College Police Department, Blinn Bryan Police Department, Washington County Sheriff’s Office, Texas Department of Public Safety, Texas Parks and Wildlife, Constables, Justice of the Peace, Brenham Fire Department, Emergency Medical Services (EMS), Washington VFD, Berlin VFD, Salem VFD, Gay Hill VFD, Meyersville VFD, Burton VFD, Latium VFD, Rocky Creek VFD, Prairie Hill VFD, Burton VFD, Brenham Animal Control, and Brenham Utilities after hours.